National War Tax Resistance Coordinating Committee

drone menu Picket a federal building and then take a photo. Send letters to the editor. Refuse federal tax on local telephone service. Claim two additional allowances on your W-4 form. Join the War Tax Boycott.

1. Join the War Tax Boycott

By signing up with the War Tax Boycott, you can publicly announce your refusal to pay taxes for war.

2. Claim Two Additional Allowances on Your W-4

W-4 formIf you have a salaried job and you find the IRS owes you money every year, you are being over withheld. In order to reduce your withholding, you need to submit a new W-4 form to your employer claiming enough allowances so that you will owe the IRS and thus are in a position to refuse taxes. (Note: You only need to submit the lower portion of the form [pictured left])

3. Refuse Federal Excise Tax on Local Telephone Service

This 3% tax will only appear on telephone bills where you are charged for local service. Historically, this tax has been related to war.

4. Send Letters to the Editor

Many local and community papers are sometimes eager to publish letters to the editor on subjects other than local zoning controversies. Such letters often embolden others to take actions they might otherwise have been reluctant to make.

5. Picket a Federal Building/Take Photo

You don’t need to wait until Tax Day to appear in front of the local IRS office, post office, or federal building with a sign exercising your freedom of speech to dissent. If you do, have someone with you who’s willing to take your photo. Upload that photo to your Facebook page, blog, or send to the local paper. Don’t underestimate the power of one person willing to stand up and be heard.

A Few Other Things You Can Do